Thursday, September 11, 2008

LGBT servicemembers and 9/11


Capt. Joan E Darrah (US Navy Ret) has shared a personal story with SLDN supporters today. She was in a briefing room in the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, and fortunately left the room about ten minutes before the plane hit in the same area of the building. Seven of her colleagues were killed. She had not listed her same-sex partner on her emergency contact notification forms because of the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy. Had she been a casualty, her partner might not have known for hours. She also writes “Whenever my Admiral would call me into his office, I always feared in the back of my mind that somehow I had been been outed and was about to be fired. The constant fear of losing my career for something other than job performance is hard to quantify.”

SLDN now has a blog on this publishing service, here. The story today concerns the election of U.S. Air Force Auxiliary Civil Air Patrol Major General Amy Courter as its first female commander.

Picture: Pentagon in Arlington VA, west side, from the Air Force Memorial. I will visit the new Pentagon Memorial Project for 9/11 victims that opened today very soon.

Sept. 12, 2008

Here is the Memorial:

No comments: