Thursday, April 07, 2011

Study reports disturbing findings about long term care facilities with LGBT people

“LGBT Long Term Care: Stories from the Field”, from the National Senior Citizens Law Center, is a short YouTube video with Phyliss Lyon. The video is offered along with the release of a report “LGBT Older Adults in Long Term Care Facilities: Stories from the Field”, link (website url) here.  The survey results, including reports of discrimination and restrictions for visitors, are disturbing. Lyon advises making a long-term care directive with an attorney early.

I’m already getting asked about purchasing LTC insurance by my bank. From a policy perspective, there could be an incentive to require childless people to purchase insurance if possible – and that means intrusive medical checkups. I don’t want to be hounded about my PSA number all the time. I think you can let it ride.

No comments: