Thursday, May 08, 2014

Vox media reports LGBT people make up to 40% of the homeless, more likely to go to jail


Vox Media offers a shocking report, that LGBT people are 20%-40% of the homeless population and are more likely to go to jail, by German Lopez, link here. And that means hear in the United States, not Russia or Africa.

I do find the story rather shocking, and my own personal observation is that I'm not sure I believe it,

But the numbers are based on a study from the Lambda Legal Defense Fund, which I regularly support, link here.

There is also a report from Columbia University Law school here, "Federal Policy Recommendations for Addressing Criminalization of LGBT People and People Living with HIV",  This might seem surprising in view of Lawrence v. Texas, the end of DADT in the military, and so much progress in marriage.
 
I can say that in the gay male community, higher income gays have relatively little social contact with those of lower income, much as in the general population.  This trend seems to have increased since the 1990s. 

No comments: