Sunday, November 23, 2014

Former Navy Seal Kristin Beck speaks to Arlington Gay Alliance about transgender ban, and national security


This evening I went to a Thanksgiving potluck held in the auditorium at the Central Library in Arlington VA, held by AGLA, the Arlington Gay and Lesbian Alliance, and listened to transgendered former Navy Seal Kristin Beck speak.  I apologize for having to leave a bit early to go to another event in northern VA at Tyson’s Corner. 


I see I have a report of an interview by Anderson Cooper of Kristin here on June 15, 2013 on the TV blog. I have a review of the CNN film “Lady Valor: The Kristin Beck Story" on the movie reviews blog Sept. 4, 2014.  (I had to correct the first name spelling to end in “in” just now; my apologies.) 

It’s well to remember that the lifting of “don’t ask don’t tell” did not affect the ban on transgendered individuals from the military, as covered on Scott Peck’ radio program way back in 1993 when he interviewed a former enlisted person in Naval Intelligence who left the uniformed services with the sex change but got a similar job as a civilian.

Kristin talked about the absolute standards of fitness in the Navy Seal program, and actually transgender identity did not interfere with that.  Kristin talked about Alan Turning (in the upcoming film “The Imitation Game”).

Kristin also talked about difficulties with the publisher of her book, titled “Warrior Princess: A U.S. Navy Seal’s Journey to Coming Out Transgender”, the publisher being Advances Press, which she said controls the rights to her book.  (Apparently that did not interfere with CNN’s making the film.) I went to Amazon, and found it a bit pricey in hardcover and paper, with a long waiting period for paper.  It’s also on Kindle.  But I went ahead and ordered the hardcover just now and gave her some business.

There was a book exchange for the Library ("it's free") at the potluck.  See my contribution. It's in good company. 
  


No comments: