Saturday, September 19, 2015

Pride at Charlottesville, VA, 2015; Obama appoints openly gay man as Army secretary



After a quick visit to the Monticello slave tour, I did visit Charlottesville LGBT Pride 2015 today in Lee Park. 

This is a small festival. There was a performance stage, lots of organizations, and lots of dogs, especially huskies and shepherds. Drag was at a minimum. Comic book characters, like Superman, showed up.

Parking was possible right across the street ($3 an hour) in a very cramped lot, but there were many others around town.

  
While at the event, I saw the CNN story on my phone that President Obama had appointed the first openly gay man (or woman) to head a military branch – Eric F. Fanning as Secretary of the Army. Kristen Holmes has the CNN story here. The Senate will have to confirm the appointment.

Technically, this would have been legal even before the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in 2011.  
  
But the idea might have been morally questionable.  I was in that kind of situation myself in the 1990s, as I have detailed elsewhere. 

No comments: