Monday, February 01, 2016

Gay history resources, in DC, FL, and with National Archives


At a social gathering for AGLA Sunday night near Freddie’s Beach Bar in South Arlington VA near Crystal City (yes, the snow banks in the neighborhood had melted enough that I could park) I did learn of a couple of resources.

One is the Rainbow History Project in Washington DC, which has an online exhibit and Oral Histories.

Another is the Stonewall Museum in Fort Lauderdale, FL.  Incorporating the Stonewall National Education Project.

Of course, the material in my three “Do Ask, Do Tell” books could be valuable at both places and I will be looking into these and contacting them soon.  One is local for me, and another could conceivably justify travel at some point.

I also learned that the National Archives has an exhibit on the history of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”.  as part of the David M. Rubenstein Gallery Record of Rights.  I will visit the facility soon (but there is no photography allowed, due to photoflash sensitivity of documents).

Tentatively, I expect to talk about my books at the Arlington County Library Sunday April 3.  There will be more details later.

No comments: