Thursday, March 30, 2017

Census will not keep track of sexual orientation or gender identity in 2012


The US Census Bureau will not include questions on sexual orientation or gender identity in the America Community Survey after 2020.  Some groups are outraged, according to various stories, such as NBCs here.

I worked for Census on the diennial survey in the spring of 2010, and then for the Current Population Survey for eight months in 2011.  I do not recall any questions on gender identity or sexual orientation, except indirectly as to housemates in a household.  But it was common to find young adults living in rented homes out of economic convenience.
 
I also received an American Community Survey by mail, which I filled out on 2012 online.  I don’t recall any such questions.

No comments: