Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gay Republican speaks out in the gay press


I noticed with great interest the viewpoint article by Los Angeles attorney and writer B. Daniel Blatt in The Washington Blade in the Sept. 12, 2008 issue, on p 26 in print, link here. The title is “Proud to be a Republican” and it adds the byline “it’s easier to be gay among conservatives than to be conservative among gays.” Perhaps true.

He discusses his visit to the Republican convention in St. Paul, and the recognition of his blog, Gay Patriot (it calls itself "The Internet Home for the American Gay Conservative"). I had mentioned it, I see, on an April 30 posting on this blog. Let me say that technically it sets a great example, because it shows how effective Wordpress can be in categorizing and organizing diverse materials in a database. I have some of my materials on Wordpress, but much less of it.

I knew Dan in the 1990s when we both lived in northern Virginia. I had networked then with Log Cabin Republicans. I gradually invested more of my time and “loyalties” in GLIL (Gays and Lesbians for Individual Liberty) and libertarianism. I would move to Minneapolis for six years, and that would become a whole personal history sequence that I’ve discussed before. On my own writings, I’ve dissected all points of view, and have come to regard myself pretty much as an Independent, perhaps Lieberman style. My own father was a Republican, and what I personally find with people today whom I know in the Party of Lincoln (even people employed by the RNC) is that they often note privately that the current administration is reckless and intellectually bankrupt, and that the party leadership needs to start over.

Dan notes that he is always well treated by everyone in the party. Well, so have I been. What I have a problem with is what I find in the Platform, if I have to stick to drawing existential conclusions from it. I noted (Sept 5) that the Platform wants to keep the military gay ban (it’s not clear if they would go back to formal “asking”). I think they know that this raises my “existential problem” so they make it clear they are against resuming the draft or imposing any kind of mandatory national service (deferring to the idea that freedom from involuntary servitude should be a fundamental right). The platform, on p 45, left side, calls for supporting abstinence-only education for teens. The logical or perhaps “existential” implication is that “sex is only for (heterosexually) married people” (like in an episode of TheWB’s “Seventh Heaven”) and that people disinclined to participate in heterosexual marriage are invited into second class citizenship in a global society. I’ve explained that in my blogs.

When you visit GayPatriot, take a look at the link (on the left, in the Wordpress “categories”) for “Dan’s Novel”. I read this entire document in print in 1997. I’ll say forget Hollywood’s Third Party Rule (or let me be the “Third Party” – I would enjoy working as a film agent) and suggest this would be a terrific film. I can imagine a screenplay (you know, “beginning, middle and end”) and picture in my own mind what a film would look like and visualize it playing at Landmark’s E Street very easily. Dan brings his literary and legal backgrounds together to create novel and perplexing situations while telling a compelling love story. I recall finishing reading the book over lunch in a Madison, WI isthmus coffee shop on my trip out to Minneapolis over Labor Day weekend in 1997 to start my "new life" and being quite moved.

Netflix offers a film "Gay Republicans," directed by Wash Westmoreland in 2004, from "World of Wonder" as a distributor.

I remember that former presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani (whom I would have preferred become the nominee, as would a lot of "moderate" Republicans) has mentioned the dangers of existential thinking in debates. My goodness, GOP personalities and bloggers have attracted so much media attention in the past two weeks that we have forgotten about the existence of Barack Obama. I suppose we could sign personal letters "existentially yours." Nobody would have done that in George Eliot's (to name of of Blatt's favorite novelists) Victorian England, in those days people really wrote letters instead of emails.

1 comment:

DGreatOne said...

Please write in your blog all the progress Democrats have made with the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell", especially after a Democrat president gave us this policy.

Doesn't matter if "it" is in the platform. Gay Democrats constantly confuse Democrat rhetoric with LGBT accomplishment.