Saturday, July 10, 2010

A little morality play when clubbing (and maybe a lesson in "online reputation")

Well, I hadn’t been to TownDC for a while, and last night something weird did happen. Today is my birthday (I won’t give the years hear but the number is greater than for most men on the floor), and some people who remembered me from visits before did invite me to dance. Someone nearby asks my age – and I think about the birthday, although I don’t know how he knew. Then, in a “departure from norm” for dirty dancing, he pulls up my pantlegs, revealing balding gams. (I’ve never seen that done. Also, in after hours, when people don’t have drinks in their hands – more common in cities with earlier liquor curfews, the activity gets a lot more rambunctious, not the case here. I think in DC it’s 3 AM, isn’t it? This was around 1.

Well, I guess one does get known and recognized from the Internet, one’s blog posts and of course Facebook (I’m not that active on Facebook, even though I’m there), and Twitter (I’m no Ashton Kutcher on Twitter). I can imagine that maybe a few years ago one of them had encountered one of my screenplays on the Web, the one that caused a ruckus when I was substitute teaching (the “BillBoushka” blog July 27, 2007, also June 25). Then it all makes sense. All the reason and try to get out and edit and sell the screenplay(s).

By the way, there was another “birthday” conversation at The Boom in Minneapolis in October 2001, right after 9/11. A woman approaches me and asks me my birthday, and age. Then she says something like, “Scott’s boyfriend thinks you like him, and that’s a problem.” She used the term “senior moment” and then said I should just keep some distance. Weird!

Pictures: Baltimore pride. Problems with low light. Last night, I just had a single-use flash, that has to be developed, get the pictures later.


Last night, there was a particular patron wearing a white T-shirt with the interjection "Yeah" written on it. The recent book "The Facebook Effect" by David Kirkpatrick describes the social or conversational manners of the company's founder as using that word when disinterested, a manner that pleases some people and distracts others. The patron also had his face and hair done to look like the company's founder, although he was considerably taller. A cute way to costume onself without Halloween!

Update:

The "Yeah" guy (that's not "Yeth")
Joker #1 (The Sunfish cap is mine from a submarine boarding even tin 1993 when I was preparing to write about gays in the military);
Joker #2:  No, he's the same guy, with my glasses, too.  I don't bother with contacts, not vain enough (I can't afford to be.)

No comments: