Saturday, October 16, 2010

Green Lantern in DC rocks with "Reel Affirmations" party; Cobalt-DC draws big on Friday nights

Well, now The Green Lantern in Washington DC (near 14th St and Mass Ave.) rocks on Saturday night, at least tonight, Oct. 16, as it hosted the reception for Reel Affirmations after screening “Bear City” (see my movie blog today).


 The audience at the film and at the GL tonight was more or less like the characters in the film; this is not the svelte 21-year-old disco crowd.


I saw a sign at the bar for a Gear Fetish Party called the Code, the first Saturdays of the months, and offering “barbers” (use your imagination), so I checked the dress code. I would have a hard time meeting this one, but here it is (link ).


Friday night, The Cobalt-DC really hopped, with a long line outside by 11 PM. However “bearish”, the men were almost always lean.  Call this the "low body mass index" crowd. 


And as I got there, the Yankees were carrying out their come-from-behind 6-5 victory in the ALCS at Texas on my Blackberry. Tried randomly, most guys knew what this was.

There's one earlier shot of a guy with a funny T-shirt at the Harman Theater earlier (at the movie screening). He said it was OK to take it. Maybe the word will disturb some people; but this is a grown-up audience. I don't move into the "R" territory often. Remember the movie "I Heart Huckabees"?  Roger Ebert rather liked it, as I remember.  (I did see it. Jason Schwartzman and now Nev Schulman ["Catfish"] qualify as "lean" or low body mass index bears, however straight or heterosexual they are.)  Yup, "Oh, my, God!"

No comments: