Monday, November 07, 2011

Aids Walk 25 in 2011 -- a postscript


I completed my own AIDSWalk this evening, when it was mild and dry (compared to the horrible weather the morning of the walk, Oct. 29), by walking up from McPherson Square to the Elizabeth Taylor Whitman Walker Clinic at 14th St and R in Washington, to pick up the T-shirt. 

This is the first time I have even been in the facility. I had been in the old Arlington facility when volunteering in the early 1990s. 

I do recall my time with the Oak Lawn Counseling Center in Dallas in the mid 1980s, when the epidemic hit Dallas hard, two years later than New York and California.  The need for volunteers was of a very different nature at that time. 

Across R Street from Whitman Walker there is a Central Union Mission. 

No comments: